Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fun Foodie Finds.

Since I'm all into the healthy lifestyle thing lately (okay does a year plus of doing it count as lately ? Not sure but hey...I'll go with it)...I have a bunch of fave finds that are staples in my life. I get bored eating absolutely the same thing every day, but I try to keep it within a range of 'goodness', so I mix it up a bit sometimes. I try to find more protein items with fiber and lower carbs for the most part. It's mostly about fuel for the body, but if it tastes good that's awesome too. It's amazing how many cool, tasty, yet good for you things are out there. I make it my personal mission to find them.

Here are a few of my fave 'good to go in your mouth' things for a healthier type lifestyle. No jokes please.

Lightful Satiety Smoothies. 90 cals, 6g fiber, 6 protein. The perfect thing for between breakkie and lunch or after a workout on the go. The straw thing is weird and does not work. Recommend using strange straw to stab hole in the top and suck like a vampire.



Frozen Yogurt. Wow Cow. Heard of it? 10 cals per ounce. It's non-dairy and it's pretty tasty if you are watching your waistline. I eat it a fair amount but sometimes I splurge and get the 'real thing' as in nonfat froyo. Gotta live a little ya hear!

Light 2% String Cheese. 60 cals per stick, 6g protein and no carbs. Win Win for the muscles.

Designer Whey Protein Powder. 90 cals for a scoop (mega scooper too), 18g protein, like 6g carbs. I love mixing this with low-cal almond milk and regular milk in a sports bottle and doing a little shakie shakie to get it all nice and blended. Pour over a bit of ice in a glass. It's almost like a milkshake. Without the ass-packing fat.

Luna Bars. Specifically the new flavor Chocolate Peppermint Stick. Like girl scout Thin Mints? Don't like how you can inhale a whole sleeve in under 5 minutes? Well me either. This Luna Bar actually tastes like the cookies but is a little more nutritious. 180 cals, 9g protein, 3g fiber. It does have some sugars but WAY less than a scoop of ice cream even. My nutritionist allowed me to have one a day on a lower sugar plan I did. Love them. Other fave flavors: Lemon Zest; Chocolate Raspberry; Nutz over Chocolate; and the Blueberry Yogurt Sunrise (my def fave for non-chocolate!).




Egg Whites. Okay I know this doesn't sound SO appealing so you might be like Whaaa? But they rock. I scramble up a few in the mornings with 2% shredded cheese, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt..and put them into a Sonoma Tortilla Company Artistan Tortilla (60 cals, 8g fiber, 6g protein!) and whala. It's the breakfast of champions and nets me about 25g protein and I still get a healthy dose of fiber from the tortilla. The best thing about egg whites is that they take on the flavor of whatever you cook them with...so it's easy to make them quite tasty with spices.

Vitalicious Brownies. and muffins, and cakes, and tops. The list is quite long. This company makes a very good faux-brownie..well that's what I call it. It is a brownie but it's not quite a brownie. 100 cals, something like 5g fiber and 3g protein. It's fabulous for heating up in the microwave and then putting a big scoop of slow churned ice cream on top with a bit of nuts and some fat free Reddi Whip. Like a Baskin Robbins sundae sans much fat and cals. I have a problem eating just one.



That's it for now but trust me, I have tons more nutritional goodness up my sleeve. Just gotta find the time to post. Stay tuned!

Oh and I gotta give some props to http://www.hungry-girl.com/ for her amazing website and blog on Yahoo! about similar kinds of finds. Many times I will find a favorite on her blog that I already know about but many times she turns me onto things I never even knew were out there. 100 cal M&M packs anyone?!

No comments: